b. Toronto, Canada 1926 – d. 2011

SELECTED WORKS


BIO

Sylvia Stone was a member of the seminal Park Place Gallery (a cooperative run by artists including Mark di Suvero and Robert Grovesnor), the subject of three solo exhibitions at Tibor de Nagy in the late 1960s, and five exhibitions at André Emmerich between 1972 and 1982. However, her work is rarely seen today. Stone, working with plexiglas and metal, draws on Constructivism and Minimalism, engaging the environment, its architecture, and light. Stone, however, did not employ the serial nature of Minimalism or its repeated, stable shapes. Instead, she combined materials to suggest a dynamic, irregular syncopation with unexpected juxtapositions of shapes and color.


PRESS

ArtForum, Hal Foster on Sylvia Stone